We’ve put together some key tips for improving your SEO ranking.
If you haven’t done so already, have a read of our beginners guide to SEO. This will give you the basics that you need to understand what SEO is and why you need to pay attention to it.
When we talk about search engine optimisation, we talk about Google. Of course Google isn’t the only search engine to consider, there are many others. But it does own over 90% of the market share. Therefore, for now we will look into optimising for Google.
Google takes into consideration more than 200 factors when assessing ranking. One of the most important things to remember is that Google ranks pages and not websites. That means you can aim to rank for different keywords and different topics with different pages. That’s a nice opportunity if your site has more than one page!
Tips for improving SEO
OK good, now that you’ve done that we can move on to some tips and tricks to help you reach your SEO dreams.
- Page Speed. If your website loading speed is slow, google will recognise this and it will reflect with lower rankings. Slow websites also affect user experience and poor user experience also reflects badly in your ranking. The magic number is around 3 seconds. Users are likely to abandon your site if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load. Your site might be slow because of a number of reasons. Check your theme, plugins and hosting.
- Quality Content. Content needs to be fresh and regularly updated to keep people interested and coming back for more. Having interesting content on site can also help your SEO ranking by keeping users on your site for longer. Keyword research is also important. Do some research around what your customers might be searching for and monopolise on any gaps in the market.
- Optimise Images. Images are very important and can impact the way your website looks and feels for users. Make sure images are optimised (file format and size) in order for them to improve your SEO ranking.
- BackLinks. A backlink is a link from another website to your website. Backlinks act like votes, and more votes usually lead to higher ranking. Aim to build links to the best information content on your site. This can be done by reaching out to other sites with similar content.
- Mobile-Friendly. Mobile searches are ever growing and has now overtaken laptop and desktop searches. If your website is optimised for mobile use then your search engine ranking will be affected. Test your site for mobile-friendliness and make sure it’s not negatively affecting your SEO performance.
If this sounds like something you want to take advantage of, speak to us at AMC. We can help you assess your website and suggest ways to improve your SEO ranking.